People who provide personal care and support may enjoy flexible working conditions and a broad variety of tasks.
These range from helping people to have a healthy social life or to participate in sport or leisure activities, to helping with day to day tasks like showering, shopping and eating. You help people who need support to live their best lives every day! Different job roles are in different locations, so you might find yourself in a hospital, an aged care facility, in the community or in people’s homes depending on which role you go into.
In personal care and support there are lots of different job roles. For example you could consider becoming a community services support worker, an assistant in nursing, a personal care assistant in aged care, a personal care worker in disability care or a diversional therapy assistant.
- As a community services support worker you might work in an agency and help people with issues they’re having with recreation, health, housing, employment or welfare.
- As an assistant in nursing you would work under the supervision of a registered nurse and assist patients with personal care and activities of daily living.
- Personal care assistants who work in in aged care give assistance to clients in their aged care facility or in their home. Your role would include providing emotional support and personal care.
- Personal care workers who work in disability give clients household assistance, emotional support, personal care and community access.
- As a diversional therapy assistant you would design and carry out leisure and health activities and programs under the supervision of a diversional therapist.
Below is a pathway that gives you some options you might want to look at if you either want to explore personal care and support by getting a taste, or by getting started in a job. Everyone has their own journey. Where you start and where you end is up to you!
Thinking about starting your journey in personal care and support and not sure if you'll like it?
Potential Certificate III qualifications for personal care and support roles
With this qualification you could work as a: